Did you know you can make your favourite holiday dessert using whole grain granola? Bark is a holiday frozen desert made using very few ingredients and is easy to whip together. Using our whole grain granola recipe, make your own whole grain granola bark for a quick and easy dessert.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 4 shredded wheat biscuit-type cereal biscuits crumbled fine
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat bran
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ⅓ cup peanuts (or chopped walnuts, pecans)
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 ½ tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients.
- Add the honey and oil to the combined mixture and stir well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through baking.
- Allow to cool on the pan.
- Once the granola is cooled, transfer to a large bowl.
Now to make your bark! The best thing about holiday bark is how you can customize it to your own taste. Have a yogurt or chocolate base, add fruits, pretzels, nuts or seeds!
- Want a yogurt base? Start off with about 3 cups of yogurt and half cup of your favourite frozen berries. Spread out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, top with berries and whole grain granola. Add to freezer and let cool completely. Once cooled, break into bite sized pieces, store in an airtight container in freezer.
- Want a chocolate base? Melt chocolate chips or cut up chocolate bars into 3 cups of melted chocolate. Spread out on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, top with whole grain granola and a drizzle of caramel sauce. Add to freezer and let cool completely. Once cooled, break into bite sized pieces, store in an airtight container in freezer.
If you’re looking for inspiration check out these two great granola barks recipes:
Peanut butter and cocoa granola bark from Canadian Living
Granola berry yogurt bark from Canadian Food Focus