Cheddar Cornbread Tops
These easy to make Cheddar Cornbread Tops are perfect to fill with pulled Ontario beef, or serve alongside your favourite soup.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg and butter. Pour over flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in cheese until combined.
- Drop dough into 8 mounds onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in centre of 400 F (200 C) oven for about 12 minutes or until firm to the touch.
#TrainWithGrainsTip: Make your Cheddar Cornbread Tops ahead and freeze them for up to 2 weeks. Be sure to warm them in a 350 F (180 C) oven before serving.