This delicious Creamy Tomato Soup uses Soymilk Cream to bring out the flavours of your tomatoes and provide a nice smooth and creamy taste. You can substitute fresh tomatoes in place of canned, it is a great way to use up those tomatoes from your garden.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup Silk Original soymilk
- 1/4 cup Silk Original Creamer
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a 4-litre stockpot.
- Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute; an additional 3 minutes.
- Combine the salt, whole tomatoes with juice, vegetable broth, bay leaf, basil and thyme into the stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to crush the tomatoes.
- Remove the bay leaf; add Silk, Silk Creamer and a few grinds of fresh pepper.
- Put soup in 2 batches in a blender until smooth and creamy (use caution when blending hot soup).
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Return soup to pot, heat gently and serve.