This salad makes cauliflower and barley the perfect combination. Serve this delicious salad as a side dish, appetizer, or just make it the whole meal! It stands tall on its own.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Roasted Cauliflower and Toasted Barley Salad
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed and cut into bite-sized pieces (florets)
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Dill sprigs
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Pecorino cheese, shaved
- ¼ cup lemon juice + zest from half a lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the Roasted Cauliflower and Toasted Barley Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 500F (convection if possible).
- In a large bowl, toss together cauliflower, onion, oil, salt and pepper.
- Scrape onto a large (unlined) baking sheet and bake until charred and tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add barley and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil, stirring; reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook until barley is softened with a slight chewiness, about 35-40 minutes.
- Scrape onto a plate and let cool.
For the Dressing:
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, Dijon, black pepper and sea salt.
- In a bowl, toss together barley, cauliflower, onions, dressing and dill and parsley sprigs.
- Scrape onto a serving platter.
- Top with additional herb leaves and generously shave pecorino overtop.