There is nothing better on a cold, snowing morning than a delicious pancake breakfast. Trust us, we love pancakes – whether they’re gingerbread flavour, wholesome and healthy, or patriotic, a good pancake recipe is a good start to the day.
Snowpeople pancakes are a good way to introduce your family to the kitchen and have fun with the shapes and decorating of our favourites breakfasts. Have your kids help you prepare and decorate the pancakes!
Healthy Tip: Use whole wheat flour rather than all-purpose flour or mix half and half! That way you get all the nutritional benefits of the grain!
Yield: 8 pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose Ontario flour
- 2 ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1 tspof salt
- 1 tbsp of white sugar
- 1 ¼ cups of Ontario milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp of melted butter
- See decorating ingredients below
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. For extra smooth pancakes, you can sift in the dry ingredients to prevent clumps.
- Combine the milk, egg and melted butter in a separate bowl.
- Create a well (hole) in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Allow the batter to sit and thicken while pre heating a frying pan over medium heat. Add cooking oil of choice and allow to heat up.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring scoop to measure enough batter for the snowman’s body and pour it on the frying pan. Once bubbles form throughout the pancake, it is ready to flip. Allow to brown on both sides.
- Use 2 tablespoons to measure enough batter for the snowman’s head and pour onto the frying pan. Follow the same cooking instructions as above.
- Store the pancakes in aluminum foil to keep them warm while decorating.
For snow you can use the following:
- Cream Cheese
- Icing or Icing (confectioners) Sugar
- Whipped Cream
- Shredded coconut
For buttons and eyes you can use the following:
- Chocolate chips
- Raisins or other dried fruit
- Chocolate icing or cream cheese
- Various nuts
For the Nose you can use the following:
- Orange Peel cut into a triangle (don’t eat)
- Strawberry cut into a triangle
- Pretzel stick
- A Carrot
For the hat you can use the following:
- A large strawberry, raspberry or blackberry
- A bacon strip trimmed to a top hat shape. Use a second strip for the matching scarf!
For the mouth you can use the following:
- A slice of kiwi
- Chocolate icing
- Chocolate chips or raisins