Growing up, weekend mornings were always for fresh-baked pancakes with sausage and topped with fresh fruit or local maple syrup. Our Banana Nut Whole Wheat Pancakes are full of whole-grain goodness with lots of protein thanks to the addition of wheat bran. Try making this recipe with your family for the perfect breakfast option this weekend!
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) wheat bran
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp soy oil
- Sliced banana
- A handful of pecans or walnuts
- 1 tsp of honey
- Add flour, wheat, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well
- In a separate bowl, stir together cottage cheese, eggs, milk, vanilla and soy oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well mixed. Add small amounts of milk if too thick.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a spoonful of pancake mixture to the heated frying pan.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides
- Top with sliced banana’s, pecans or walnuts and finish with a drizzle of honey!
Alternatively, if bananas, nuts and honey isn’t your thing, try topping your whole wheat pancakes with soy butter: a great protein and nut-free spread that tastes great on sandwiches, sliced apples and on pancakes.