It’s September and that means two things; it’s time to go back to school and Ontario pears are in season! Luckily, Pear Oatmeal Muffins are the perfect start to any day or make a great snack to pack in lunches. These muffins are made with local Ontario pears and contain the goodness of Ontario oats to help fuel your day.
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh diced Ontario pears (about 1½ medium pears)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray or grease a muffin tin with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats and milk. Set aside and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir the oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla into the soaked oat mixture. Add dry ingredients. Then, stir just until combined. Fold pears into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin.
- Next up, the topping: stir the butter and sugar until the brown sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon and oats and stir until combined. Top muffin batter evenly with the mixture.
- Bake 12 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let the muffins cool in the pan 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
This recipe is inspired by the “healthy-ish pear oatmeal muffins” recipe by MarisaMoore.com.