This easy, healthy homemade Tofu shawarma will be a new fan-favorite, for a good reason! Made with the goodness of Ontario grains, this recipe is a perfect springtime dinner idea that can be made in under 30 minutes. Serve it in pita pockets with tahini sauce, for a tasty and easy dinner!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 (14-oz.) block firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 4 whole wheat pitas, warmed
- 2 mini-cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Mint leaves, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, add onion and vinegar, toss to coat; set aside.
- Squeeze tofu over a medium bowl to expel as much water as possible. When no more liquid comes out, tear tofu in 1” pieces.
- Arrange tofu in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Toss with oil; add coriander, paprika, red pepper flaked, cinnamon and salt. Toss well to coat. Roast tofu for 20-25 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and garlic, season with salt.
- Assemble pitas by dividing yogurt among pitas, followed by tofu, cucumbers, drained pickled onion and a handful of mint. Serve and enjoy!