Malabi, also known as milk pudding, is a very popular dessert in the Middle East. Traditionally made with whole milk and rose water, Chef Erica wanted to put a little twist on this delicious dessert by using the goodness of Ontario soybeans in a soy beverage and pairing it with orange blossom water for the perfect winter sweet treat.
Yield: 8-12 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes and 3 hours to cool
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups unsweetened soy beverage
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup good quality 70 percent chocolate
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- ¼ cup honey (can replace with sugar to make this vegan)
- Place 3 cups of the soy beverage in a pot and place on low heat to slightly warm.
- While that is warming, combine the remaining 1 cup soy beverage with cocoa powder and cornstarch and mix well.
- Once the soy on the heat is warmed, add in your chocolate and stir until melted. Then mix in the remaining soy beverage cocoa powder mixture and whisk.
- Cook on the stove on low heat, whisking continuously until your pudding has thickened. Turn off the heat, add in orange blossom water and honey.
- Place in a bowl and set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with chocolate curls and some orange zest, and dive into this silky delicious chocolate soy custard!