Make your very own deep-dish pizza from a variety of local Ontario ingredients! Create the dough and sauce at home using pantry ingredients for a delicious and local homemade meal!
Yield: 1 pizza
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes*
*allow for 2 – 3 hours between prep and cooking time for homemade dough to rise.
For the crust:
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (heated to 115°F)
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (divided into 1/8 cup)
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, grated (about 1/6 cups)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sausage, cooked and broken into chunks
- 1/4 cup pepperoni slices
For the crust:
- Proof yeast in a measuring cup with water and sugar. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Add olive oil.
- Using stand mixer with dough hook attachment, mix together salt, cornmeal and flours. Once combined, turn mixer speed to low and slowly add liquid ingredients. Mix until dough forms a ball that no longer stocks to the side of the bowl. If dough is too sticky, add additional flour 1 tbsp at a time.
- Remove from bowl and form dough into ball shape. Transfer to lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm location until dough has doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface, set aside bowl and cover for later use. Gently knead out the dough to remove any air bubbles and roll dough into a large 15×12 inch rectangle. Spread 1/8 of butter on top of dough. Roll dough lengthwise and then form into ball. Return newly formed dough ball to bowl and cover. Let cool in the fridge for 1 hour as you make the sauce.
For the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes and mix. Once the onion has browned, approximately 5 minutes, add garlic, tomatoes and sugar. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes. Continue to let simmer if you have more than 1 1/4 cups of sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
Now time to assemble your deep-dish pizza!
- Preheat oven to 425 ° F.
- Remove dough from fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface, working into a 12-inch circle. Place dough over a 9×2 inch deep dish cake pan. Press dough into cake pan using your fingers, ensuring that the dough is fitting tightly into pan. Trim excess dough from sides with a knife. Brush top edges of dough with olive oil.
- Fill pizza with mozzarella cheese, then add your desired toppings. Pour sauce over toppings. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Place cake pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from over and allow to cool on a metal rack for 10 minutes. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
#TrainWithGrainTip: have your family make this pizza by contributing their favourite Ontario ingredient! Change out your protein source to a family favourite and don’t forget to stuff your deep-dish pizza with tasty Ontario vegetables like peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, broccoli or spinach!