Flatbread’s make the perfect appetizer and pizza base! Made from simple ingredients that include whole wheat flour and water, it’s not wonder flatbread’s have been a staple in human diets for 5,000 years.
In this recipe, there are two steps: Make our homemade flatbread, then top it with some of your favourite ingredients!
To make the flatbread:
- 2ÂĽ teaspoons of dry active yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup allâ€“purpose flour
- Â˝ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups of warm water
- Combine the warm water and sugar in a bowl
- Stir to dissolve.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let that become foamy (approximately 5-6 minutes).
- While that is foaming, combine flours and salt in a large bowl. Mix well
- Pour foamy, yeast water mixture into flour mixture.
- Stir until a dough ball forms
- Knead for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and stiff. Add flour to prevent sticking.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean kitchen cloth and allow to rise (1-1.5 hours).
- Divide dough into small balls.
- On a floured surface, roll balls out until flat or 1/4 inch think – you don’t want them super think or they wont cook properly!
- Cook in a hot skillet with a little oil for 3-4 minutes on each side
Recipe Tip: Flatbread’s can be made up to one day ahead as long as they are stored in an airtight container at room temperature!
To top the flat bread:
Here’s the fun trick, you can top your flatbread’s with any number of ingredients or combinations of fruit, vegetables, sauces, cheeses and meats! Think of it as a gourmet pizza and add what you and your family want!
Some of our favourite toppings combos are:
- Thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and garlic make the perfect Margherita Pizza flatbread.
- Pulled chicken with mozzarella cheese, fresh avocado, crispy bacon, red peppers, and ranch sauce!
- Havarti and Parmesan cheese, BBQ sauce, fresh diced pineapple, bacon, and ham for a fun spin on Hawaiian Pizza
- Portobello mushrooms, one shallot, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese, pesto sauce, fresh spinach and crumbled ground beef.
- And the super easy four cheese and broccoli pairing: add parsley, basil, broccoli florets, grated cheddar, Gouda, Parmesan and crumbled feta cheese on top! Yum!
Recipe Tip: Try searching online for many different combinations to top a flatbread for more inspiration
After topping your flatbread’s, simply:
- Place flatbread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes at 400Â°C
- Broil until cheese is melted- this only takes a minute or two so watch carefully so it doesnâ€™t burn!
#TrainWithGrainsTip use whole wheat flour when making the flatbread’s and top them with many of your favourite fruits or vegetables and protein sources to keep this as a healthy balanced appetizer!