Taste the flavours of fall with our Warm Barley Salad! The recipe makes a generous amount of vinaigrette, but you’ll find as the Warm Barley Salad sits, the barley begins to absorb the vinaigrette and you may want to add more!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- ½ cup pecans
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3-4 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, small dice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- ½ cup Olive Oil, divided
- handful of baby spinach or kale leaves (optional)
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil
- Salt the water generously, and then add in the barley. Boil until al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain and spread on a baking sheet to cool
- Meanwhile, place pecans on a small baking sheet. Toast in oven for 5-8 minutes until deep in colour. Cool and roughly chop
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add in 2 tbsp. of the olive oil, followed by the shallots. Allow to cook, undisturbed for 1 minute, add in thyme, turn over and continue to cook undisturbed, allowing them to crisp a further 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together Dijon mustard, maple syrup & vinegar. Season well with salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in remaining olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl toss together the barley, pecans, shallots & thyme and apples. Stir in spinach or kale, if using. Mix in about ½ of the vinaigrette, taste and add vinaigrette as needed.
Recipe provided by The Culinary Studio.