Looking to add some excitement to this week’s meal prep? Try these Moroccan meatballs made with ground beef and kidney beans that when paired with whole wheat flatbread provide a balanced, high-protein and high-fibre meal. The beef, kidney beans and grains featured work together to deliver a high protein and nutrient-rich meal the whole family will enjoy. Serve with a side slaw to create the perfect healthy balanced meal.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp EACH lemon juice and red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp EACH Dijon mustard and liquid honey
- ½ tsp EACH ground cumin, salt and pepper
- 2 cups each shredded purple and green cabbage
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- ½ cup shaved red onion
- ¼ cup EACH finely chopped parsley and fresh mint
- 1 cup no salt added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- ½ onion, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground beef
- ¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
Whole Wheat Flatbread:
- 2¼ teaspoons of dry active yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all–purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups of warm water
Slaw: In a large bowl, whisk oil with lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Add cabbage, carrot and onion; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and mint.
Meatballs: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large bowl, mash kidney beans with a potato masher until just thoroughly mashed. Add eggs, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and cinnamon; stir to combine. Add beef, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Gently mix well. Form into 24 meatballs.
Arrange meatballs on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F (71°C) when inserted into the center of the meatball.
Whole Wheat Flatbread: Combine the warm water and sugar in a bowl and stir to dissolve sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let that become foamy (approximately 5-6 minutes).
While that is foaming, combine flours and salt in a large bowl. Mix well! Pour foamy, yeast water mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until dough ball forms. Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and stiff. Add flour to prevent sticking. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean kitchen cloth and allow to rise (1-1.5 hours).
Once risen, divide the dough into small balls and on a floured surface, roll each out until flat or 1/4 inch thick – you don’t want them super think or they won’t cook properly!
Cook in a hot skillet with a little oil for 3-4 minutes on each side
Serve meatballs with slaw and flatbread on the side.
- Use whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour if you’re looking for extra fibre and wheat protein!
- Serve with tomato and cucumber slices for a bright and fresh complement to the meatballs. Or, serve with a dollop of assorted dips such as hummus, baba ghanoush or tzatziki.
- Replace cabbage and shredded carrot with a bagged coleslaw blend. Substitute kidney beans with black beans, navy beans or chickpeas.
- Trying to sneak the beans in? Use white beans and mash until very smooth – even the pickiest of eaters will never notice!
Recipe and image courtesy of Canadian Beef – www.canadabeef.ca
Per serving (4 meatballs): 457 calories, fat 20 g (5.7 g of which is saturated), sodium 863 mg, carbohydrate 39.5 g, fibre 8.2 g, sugars 6.3 g, protein 30.4 g. %DV: zinc 66%, iron 36%, vitamin B12 110 %