Barley offers up a delicious and rich tasting alternative to rice in a risotto. With its slightly firm texture and easy preparation this creamy risotto is a breeze because there is no continuous stirring involved.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot barley
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted or sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) light herbed cream cheese
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat and cook mushrooms, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning, stirring for about 15 minutes or until no liquid remains. Stir in barley to coat.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 20 minutes or until barley is tender but firm.
- Stir in cream cheese until melted and creamy; cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.