We all know how wonderful oatmeal is for us, but here’s an idea to mix it up a bit? Swap out your traditional oatmeal for a Barley breakfast porridge made using chopped almonds and sliced bananas.
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup of cooked pearl barley
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 banana, sliced
- Combine water and barley to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and let simmer stirring often. Simmer until barley is tender (roughly 40 minutes). Drain.
- Add milk, brown sugar, and cinnamon to cooked barley, over medium high heat. Cook stirring occasionally until milk is almost absorbed (15 minutes) or mixture is to desired texture.
- Remove from heat and place into a bowl. Add chopped almonds and banana slices on top. Enjoy!
Not a fan of the banana and almond topping? Try using honey with local fruit (see what’s in season!) for a sweeter porridge or utilize dried fruits for a quick on the go breakfast you can make ahead of time.