Celebrate Celiac Disease Awareness Month this May with a delicious, single-serve, celiac-friendly blueberry muffin-in-a-mug!
What is gluten?
Gluten is a type of protein that’s found in wheat, rye, barley and foods made from these grains. It gives elasticity to baked goods, and provides that chewy texture. Gluten in made of two smaller proteins, called gliadin and glutenin. Gliadins and glutenins are the two main components of the gluten fraction in wheat. Learn more here.
Yield: 1 muffin
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 1 minute
- 1/4 cup gluten-free quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch baking powder
- 1 egg, medium
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp blueberries (or other cut-up berries, or diced fruits)
- Place all ingredients in a 12- 16 oz. coffee mug, except the blueberries.
- Mix thoroughly to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Place mug in the microwave and heat for 1 minute.
- Turn the mug upside down to release the muffin onto a plate and eat with a fork.
*Caution, mug will be hot when removing from microwave
Recipe from The Celiac Scene™, the go-to gluten-free resource.