Dinner rolls can be so boring. Try making these whole wheat Flakey Biscuits with either whole milk or buttermilk for a tasty side dish this holiday season!
Yield: 10 biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¾ cup of milk or buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by shredding into small pieces using a food grader. Stir into flour mixture.
- Continue to cut and combine the butter in, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour milk into mixture and stir to combine. Don’t over stir the dough- it should look to be in shreds and very crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a flat, floured surface and gently knead the dough using your hands.
- Using hands, spread dough out until it is flat and resembled a rectangle shape. Fold the dough in half over itself, and gently flatten layers with hands. Rotate dough and repeat this step around 5 times so you have multiple layers of dough gently pressed together.
- Using your hands, flatten dough until it is 1” thick. Cut into 3” circles, and place onto parchment lined baking sheet. Re-roll any scarps into 3” circles as well.
- Brush tops of biscuits with any remaining milk and bake for 15 minutes. Biscuits should be golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and, if desired, brush with melted butter. Enjoy warm!
#TrainWithGrainTips: Got leftovers? Cover your Flakey Biscuits and store at room temperature or place covered in the refrigerator up to five days.