Try these Barley Stuffed Peppers for an easy weeknight meal! Substitute the ground meat or colour of peppers to what your family prefers.
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 lb. (450 g) extra-lean ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, chicken)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cooked barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/4 shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400Â°F.
- Cut tops off peppers; chop finely. Remove and discard seeds.
- Stand pepper in a baking dish, set aside.
- Saute peppers, meat and onions in large skillet on medium heat until meat is evenly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and water to a pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer until tender.
- Remove cooked barley from stove.
- Add meat mixture and tomato sauce to barley, stir well to create filling for peppers.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Fill standing peppers with filling.
- Bake 35 to 40 min. or until peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on top.
- Put back in oven until cheese is melted.
#TrainWithGrainsTip: Â When cooking barley, try to remember the ratio of 2 cups water for every 1 cup of barley. Too much or too little water can affect cooking time and the taste of the cooked grain.
#DidYouKnow? 1/2 cup of cooked barley is considered to be one grain serving?