• Can of black beans (or ½ cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and boiled until soft)
• ¼ cup dried pearl barley, soaked overnight and cooked on the stove
• ¼ green onion, chopped fine
• 1/3 cup carrots, diced fine
• ½ cup leafy greens (tougher greens like kale work best)
• 2 tbsp bread crumbs
• 1tbsp olive oil
1. Soak the barley (and black beans, if you’re using the dried variety) overnight and cook them on the stove.
2. Sauté leafy greens, green onion, and carrots in the olive oil in a pan. Once everything is cooked, turn off the heat and set it aside.
3. Process the black beans in a food processor first – then, add the barley until everything is mixed through.
4. Add the cooked vegetables and bread crumbs to the food processor and pulse until it is completely incorporated. Season the mix with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Form patties with the mix. If you want to cook them fresh, pan fry them until both sides are brown and finish heating through in an oven for about 15 minutes. If you want to cook them on the barbecue, it works best if you freeze the patties first.