Try this combination of tender chewy barley with juicy tomatoes and cucumbers! And, with a taste of vinegar, the hit of acidity seems to add depth to the tomatoes, and really brings it together.
- 1 cup (250 mL) pot barley
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped (remove seeds)
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each chopped fresh basil and mint
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable or soybean oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- 2 firm ripe tomatoes, chopped
- In a pot of boiling water, cook barley for about 35 minutes or until tender but still chewy. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, onion, basil and mint. Drizzle with vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add cooked barley and tomatoes and stir well to combine.
Want some cheese? Sprinkle over some of your favourite feta or goat cheese when serving the salad for added flavour.
#TrainWithGrainsTip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Be sure to stir the salad up well before serving.