Try tofu neatballs tonight for a high protein alternative to the traditional meatball. Serve warm on a bowl of pasta, or in a whole wheat bun for a “meatball” sub.
- 1lb extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a bowl, mix together tofu, soy sauce, mirin and garlic; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, sage, oregano, basil and eggs.
- Add water to ground flax. Wait 2 minutes. Add to mixture.
- Shape heaping tablespoons into tightly packed balls.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Use cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. For crispy texture follow step 6.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over a medium-high heat; brown balls on all sides, about 10 minutes.