Crunchy, salt and sweet! These crispy eggplant fries coated in cornstarch are the perfect appetize to wow your guests.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
- 1 eggplant
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cumin, ground
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup labneh or thick Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- canola oil for frying (quantity will depend on the size of your pot or fryer
- ½ tsp salt, for seasoning
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
For the Garnishes:
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, salt, lemon juice and grated garlic.
- In another bowl, mix honey and cumin.
- Reserve for use.
For the Eggplant Fries:
- Place oil in a pot and set on medium heat to reach a temperature of 375F degrees.
- When oil is at temperature, pick parsley and fry until crispy.
- Cut the eggplant in half, lengthwise. Then cut those halfs into halves and start cutting finger width sizes of eggplant “fries” (removing skin is optional).
- Coat the eggplant in cornstarch and fry till golden and crispy. Season with salt.
- Drizzle on honey and yogurt. Top with fried parsley.
Tip: Make sure to dust off the coating of cornstarch by shaking the eggplant over your bowl in your hands. You want a thin layer of cornstarch just enough to make the fries crispy but not leave a film