Streusel is a crumbly topping made from oats, flour, sugar that goes perfectly with pastries and other baked goods. Try our Berry streusel squares today using Ontario in season raspberries and strawberries!
Yield: 16 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 ½ cups steel-cut oats
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries, cut in quarters
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, cut in quarters
- ½ cup berry jam (choose your preferred berry jam!)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp lemon peel
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°C. Line a 8X8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, or spray with non stick spray. Taste of Home recommends doing both techniques.
- Cook steel-cut oats to package instructions. Remove 1 cup of cooked oats and set aside.
- Combine rest of cooked oats, flour, sugar and butter. Mix together.
- Press oat mixture into baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a medium bowl, combine jam, raspberries, strawberries, lemon peel, lemon juice, flour and cinnamon. Mix gently and spread over oat crust.
- Spread 1 cup cooked oats over berry spread. Cook in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool, and serve as is, or with a side of ice cream, whip cream and fresh berries.