Get all the taste of delicious Chinese takeout at home with this recipe for homemade Chow Mein.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 3 tbsp oil
- 12 oz chow mein noodles, (uncooked noodles)
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- ½ batch green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
Chow Mein sauce:
- 6 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light sesame oil (not toasted)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, use a whisk to combine oyster sauce, granulated sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, chicken broth and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Cook your noodles according to package instructions then drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat a large wok or pan with olive oil over medium-heat. Cut your chicken breasts into bite-sized strips and cook them in the oil until golden brown. Remove strips and set aside.
- Add carrots, cabbage and pressed garlic and sauté for a few minutes until veggies are slightly softened and the cabbage is a bit translucent.
- Add chicken and noodles back into the pan. Pour sauce over the top and continue cooking all the ingredients together for another 2 minutes.
- Garnish your Chow Mein with chopped green onions and serve the noodles straight from the pan and piping hot!
Recipe from Natasha’s Kitchen.