We’re bringing one of your childhood favourites back to life with this recipe for grilled cheese and tomato soup. This easy tomato soup is served with a simple, cheesy grilled cheese sandwich.
Check out the recipe for our favourite whole grain grilled cheese recipe that pairs perfectly with this tomato soup!
Yield: 8 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, (3 cups finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, (1 Tbsp minced)
- 56 oz crushed tomatoes, (two, 28-oz cans) with their juice, preferably San Marzano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus more to serve
- 1 tbsp sugar, or added to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, or to taste to combat acidity
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus more to serve
- Heat a nonreactive pot or enameled dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter then add chopped onions. Sauté 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden. Add minced garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes with their juice, chicken stock, chopped basil, sugar (or add sugar to taste), and black pepper. Stir together and bring to a boil then reduce heat, partially cover with lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- You can leave your soup with a chunky consistency, but if you like a blended/creamy soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot to desired consistency or transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth (being careful not to over-fill the blender with hot liquid), then return blended soup to the pot over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and return to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed and turn off the heat.
- Ladle into warm bowls and top with more parmesan and chopped fresh basil. Serve with whole grain grilled cheese.
Tomato soup recipe from Natasha’s Kitchen.