Combine the sweetness of Ontario apples, the sweetness of local Ontario honey and the goodness of Ontario grains and you get oatmeal apple honey cake: one decadent dessert! This Oatmeal apple honey cake is amazingly moist and is sure to be a new family favourite.
Yeild: 5 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup (about 1 medium) Ontario apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup Ontario honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and line an 11×7″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir the oats and water together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine the brown sugar, apples, honey and eggs. Beat on high speed for one minute. Pour in the oats mixture and beat on low until well blended.
- With the mixer still on low, add half of the flour mixture and beat well. Add the remaining mixture and mix until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand and stir the batter to make sure flour from the bottom of the bowl is mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few clinging pieces of cake. Remove baking dish and cool on a rack. Set the oven to Broil.
- A few minutes before removing the cake from the oven, start cooking the topping. In a heavy-bottom pan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and honey. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbling. Stir in the coarsely-chopped walnuts.
- When the cake is removed from the oven, pour the topping evenly over the cake. Place the cake under the broiler for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, until the top is bubbling (watch carefully). Remove from the oven and cool the cake completely on a wire rack.
- Serve cooled oatmeal apple honey cake with a dollop of whipped topping and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon if desired.
Recipe inspired by My Recipe Reviews.