Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies is a simple recipe that features the goodness of oats and the sweet taste of chocolate chips. Try it today.
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 cups (240g) old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the egg, butter, sugars, vanilla in a medium bowl and beat on medium-high speed with a hand or stand mixer until creamed and well combined.
- Stop and add the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, optional salt, and beat on low speed until just combined about 1 minute.
- Pause mixer and add the chocolate chips, optional raisins or nuts, and beat on low speed until just combined about 30 seconds. Don’t forget to scrape the sides of the bowl between adding the ingredients to ensure your mixture is well combined.
- The dough should be a thick and sticky consistency. Cover and chill the dough for at least 45 minutes in the refrigerator. If chilling for longer than a few hours, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Using a cookie scoop or ¼ measuring cup, scoop cookie dough, roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft.
- Allow cookies to cool on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Also, use thick old-fashioned whole rolled oats, not quick oats in this recipe to ensure a chewier cookie. Quick oats are thinner and more powdery; you simply don’t get the same texture.