September is the month where Ontario fruits like pears and apples are in season. Try sourcing seasonal and local pears to make our Pear Galette for a tasty fall dish.
A galette is a French pastry similar to a tart or a pie that is a pastry dough wrapped over a tasty fruit filling. This Pear Galette doesn’t require a special pan either — just a nice flat surface for baking.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8 pears, peeled, halved, with the core removed, and cut into thin slices.
- Start off by making the galette dough. Mix flour, cornmeal, butter, sugar and salt together in a food processor or stand mixer for a few seconds. Add the ice water and mix until the dough begins to come together. There should still be large chunks of the butter visible.
- Remove and gather the dough in your hands and shape it into a ball. On a flat, floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/8 inches thick. Add to a large, baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°C
- Begin mixing the fruit filling. In a medium bowl combine the pear slices with the sugar, cinnamon and flour until well coated.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Fill center of dough with fruit filling leaving roughly 2 inches between the filling and edges of the dough. Once fruit filling has filled an even layer on the dough, fold the 2-inch border over top of the fruit filling, leaving a “hole” in the middle showing the filling. The border should not close the galette completely.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the peaches are soft.
- Remove from oven and transfer from baking sheet to a wire rack and cool before serving.
- Enjoy topped with peach jam, whip cream or ice cream!