Cornmeal Turkey Tamale Pie
Adding Cornmeal Turkey Tamale Pie to your weeknight dinner ideas is a great idea to introduce new recipes to your family’s meals. This recipe uses pantry staples and is easy to put together for a tasty dish featuring the goodness of whole grain corn in the cornmeal crust.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 lb ground turkey
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 9X12-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook. Add onion and a large pinch of salt. Sauté until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and stir until peppers start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, season with black pepper and chilli powder.
- Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Add tomato sauce, whole kernel corn, remaining salt, and chicken broth. Stir mixture and pour it into a 9×12-inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups milk with 1 teaspoon salt and the butter. When the milk is hot, but not boiling, gradually stir in the 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal. Continue cooking until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir, then add the cheese and beaten eggs. Whisk to blend.
- Ladle batter over the turkey mixture. Scatter remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the topping is browned and a toothpick comes out clean (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Serve with sour cream and cilantro.