The taste of applesauce gives these nutritious muffins a sweet taste.
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp old-fashioned oats for muffin tops
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour in the applesauce mixture into dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Sprinkle old fashioned oats on top of batter in muffins tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.