Day 6 of our #12DaysofHolidayGrains Countdown!
It wouldn’t be the holidays without a shortbread dessert. Homemade shortbread cookies taste even better when given as a gift or brought to a holiday potluck! Happy baking this season!
#TrainWithGrainsTip: Looking for more fiber in your diet? Try substituting all purpose flour for whole wheat flour in this recipe.
- 250g (1/2 lb) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or cardamom)
- Pinch of salt
Optional: Halved candied cherries, chocolate pieces, jam or chocolate sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Place softened butter in food processor or stand mixer, add sugar and mix for 2 – 3 minutes
- Add cornstarch, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix until well-blended.
- It should be a slightly dry dough that can be formed into balls easily.
- Roll pieces of dough into small balls and place on a greased and floured cookie sheet.
- Flatten with a fork, or thumb to make thumbprint cookies (best for jam or chocolate toppings)
- Top as desired (can leave empty, place halved cherries on top or use jam or chocolate)
- Bake 14 minutes. Cool a bit and then further cool on wire racks. They are a bit delicate, so lift them carefully.
Makes 24-36 shortbread cookies.