Strawberries are in season in Ontario this month, and when paired with our Flakey biscuits and whipped cream make a delicious summer treat: Strawberry shortcakes. Our biscuits are made using whole wheat flour so you’re getting the added bonus of healthy grain goodness along with the sweet flavors of strawberries.
Yield: 10 shortcakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¾ cup of milk or buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6-7 cups strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C), and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or by shredding into small pieces using a food grader. Stir into flour mixture.
- Continue to cut and combine the butter in, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour milk into mixture and stir to combine. Don’t over stir the dough- it should look to be in shreds and very crumbly.
- Transfer dough to a flat, floured surface and gently knead the dough using your hands.
- Using hands, spread dough out until it is flat and resembles a rectangle shape. Fold the dough in half over itself, and gently flatten layers with hands. Rotate the dough and repeat this step around 5 times so you have multiple layers of dough gently pressed together.
- Using your hands, flatten dough until it is 1” thick. Cut into 3” circles, and place onto parchment lined baking sheet. Re-roll any scarps into 3” circles as well.
- Brush the tops of biscuits with any remaining milk and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the biscuits are cooking, start making your vanilla whipped cream in the middle.
- Put the cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip until foamy and then add the sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Once biscuits are cooked, remove from oven, and let cool to room temperature.
- Cut biscuits in half and assemble shortcakes by spooning whipped cream and strawberries onto bottom of cut biscuit. Add top biscuit on, and top with more strawberries or a sprinkle of icing sugar.