Peppermint chocolate frosted cookies
Celebrate the holidays this year with peppermint chocolate frosted cookies! This tasty and easy to make dessert is a great holiday dinner or party addition that brings the flavors of the holidays.
Yield: 24 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Using a medium mixing bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter with granulated and brown sugars until creamy.
- Add in vanilla and eggs to butter/sugar mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients from step 2 to large mixing bowl – stir until well combined.
- Form cookie dough into 1.5 inch to 2-inch balls, and place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, check to make sure cookies are cooked through by poking a clean toothpick into center of cookie. If it is clean and dry when removed, cookies are cooked thoroughly.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream and vanilla in a bowl. It should be a creamy and thick consistency. Place aside.
- Place three candy canes in Ziploc bag, and gently crush.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, gently spread the frosting over the cookies.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over frosted cookies.
- Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.