Make your own sauce for your next steak meal! Top corn fed beef steaks with a homemade mushroom whisky sauce made from Ontario grain corn.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 lb (1 kg) corn fed beef sirloin grilling steaks
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each chopped fresh Italian parsley, chives and mint
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
Mushroom whisky sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (454 g) mushrooms (shitake and oyster), trimmed and sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) Ontario corn whisky
- ¾ cup (375 mL) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Trim any visible fat from steak; set aside. In bowl, combine oil, parsley, chives, mint, thyme, salt and pepper and hot pepper flakes. Spread herb mixture all over steak.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown steak on both sides and place steak and pan in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until desired doneness. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Mushroom Whisky Sauce: Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, thyme and salt; cook for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are golden. Add whisky to mushroom mixture and bring to boil. Add broth and return to the boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine butter and flour. Whisk into sauce and simmer for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain and place on serving platter. Pour sauce in pitcher and serve alongside.