The slight crunch of the cornmeal makes these scones extra special. Sweet bites of toffee and apple are perfect to enjoy for dessert with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp each baking soda and freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) butter, cubed
- ¾ cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1 small red apple, cored and diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) toffee bits
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda, nutmeg and salt. Using pastry blender or fingertips cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle in buttermilk until soft ragged dough forms. Stir in apple and toffee.
- Scrape out dough onto floured surface and knead gently about 5 times to bring dough together. Pat out into a 9 inch (23 cm) circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.