This easy to make cornbread goes well with a hearty soup or chili on a cold day. The jalapenos add a hint of flavour, so feel free to add more to kick up the heat. Try making it this March Break, it will be a big hit!
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 10-inch cast-iron fry pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, sugar, jalapenos and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter until just blended.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold gently until the batter is blended and no lumps remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut cornbread into 2 inch wedges and serve.
Watch #YourFarmers and registered dietitian, Lisa prepare this classic comfort food!