My schedule is busy, to say the least – I work both a full-time job and a part-time job, while logging 60-75 kilometres per week to prepare for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. Needless to say, there isn’t a lot of time to cook every single night. But I’m not letting that stop me from making sure I eat something healthy and delicious after a tough training run. After all, eating the right foods for fuel and recovery is arguably the most important piece of any training cycle. What you put into your body truly dictates how much energy you’ll have during a run.
I go big on protein when I’m refueling after a run, and one of my favourite dishes to make is on a Sunday night is this recipe. My mother use to make this chicken using corn flakes, to give it a crunchy “fried” taste without all the extra calories. I like to pair this dish with a quinoa and spinach salad, topped with honey roasted sunflower seeds to add a bit more protein. I complete the dish with cooked basmati rice.
- 4 medium bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ½ cups corn flakes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a rack above (putting the chicken pieces on a rack above foiled baking sheets is key to getting the chicken crispy. Spray rack with oil.
- Crush corn flakes cereal in a food processor or chopper. In a bowl mix crushed corn flakes with sea salt, all purpose seasoning and black pepper. Place in a shallow dish or ziplock bag and combine/shake.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, beat eggs together for 2 minutes. Using a cooking brush, brush egg mixture onto chicken then coat chicken with crushed cereal mix. Place chicken on wire rack and spray with oil. Bake 35-40 minutes. Serve with a spinach and quinoa salad topped with your favourite dressing!
- After a 30k training run, this meal pairs perfectly with Netflix!
*Share your favourite pre or post-run snack or meal on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #TrainWithGrains for your chance to WIN a $50 “Good In Every Grain” Prize Pack!