Environmentally Friendly Craft- Let’s Make Bioplastics!
Bioplastics are plastics that are produced from renewable sources such as vegetable fats/ oils, corn starch, straw, woodchips, sawdust, recycled food waste, etc. Bioplastics are equally as strong and versatile as traditional plastics and can have positive environmental impacts. They are 100% biodegradable and can help to reduce the problem of plastic waste that heavily contaminates the environment.
Follow along with your kids to teach them to make their very own bioplastic using corn starch and corn oil. Inspired by the creative educators at AGSCAPE.
Yield: one bio-plastic craft
Time: 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Ziploc bag
- 2 drops corn oil
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 drops food colouring
- Place cornstarch into Ziploc bag.
- Add corn oil and water to the bag. Seal the bag shut.
- Mix contents in bag by rubbing the outside of the bag with your fingers.
- Open the bag and add food colouring, seal the bag and mix again.
- Seal the bag 3/4 of the way closed and place in the microwave. Microwave on high do 20-25 seconds.
- CAREFULLY remove the HOT BAG. (Recommended that an adult remove the plastic bag from the microwave as it will be hot)
- Form your plastic into a ball while it is still warm.
Learning from this activity:
- Ask your child to describe what it does and ask them to compare it to other plastics in the house.
- Ask your child to make a list of what they could make with this biodegradable plastic if you let them.
- Help them to explain why bioplastics are better for the environment